Sun Safety Alliance

Reducing the incidence of skin cancer

Search SSA

From Sun Safety Alliance Photos


o Three-time Olympian volleyball player,
o Seven-time AVP Open Champion,
o Two-time MVP and NCAA Champion,
o Melanoma survivor.

This professional beach volleyball player is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Sun Safety Alliance. We recently had the opportunity to sit down with Jeff to talk about how he puts the pro in protection…

SSA: As a professional volleyball player, you must spend a lot of time outdoors. How have your sun safety habits changed since being diagnosed with skin cancer?

Jeff: Ever since my diagnosis, I now wear nothing but long sleeve, 50 SPF shirts to play in competitions as well as practices sessions. In fact, for the majority of outdoor exposure time I will always be wearing a hat and long sleeve shirt. I also will reapply sunscreen every two hours regardless of whether I am sweating or active or not. And when I am not playing, I am in the shade somewhere focusing on diminishing my sun exposure.



SSA: What advice could you offer other aspiring athletes regarding the importance of year-round sun safety protection and awareness?

Jeff: From my experience, the best advice is actually the dispelling of a myth. If you are in the sun, but it is a really overcast day, that is the day you really need to be aware of your exposure and apply sunscreen. The clouds don't block the harmful rays...it traps them and burns you more.



SSA: How has being diagnosed with skin cancer impacted your personal and professional life?

A3. My experience was very prioritizing for me. Things I may have overlooked or taken for granted came to the forefront. I realized quickly what really mattered to me and in what order. Though I have devoted 20+ years to volleyball, if I needed to walk away from playing to stay safe, I could do it without regret. My family, my life and my health took priority to my job.



SSA: As a parent, what advice would you offer regarding educating and protecting their own children from unhealthy sun habits?

Jeff: Being a parent, the best advice is to live what you try to sell to your kids. Telling a child the dangers of sun exposure while you are sunbathing with amplifier on is not going to work. If you stay out of the sun during peak times, and put on sunscreen when you are outside, then you child is more likely to imitate and understand what you are doing adopting the good sun habits.



SSA: As a melanoma survivor, what words of encouragement would you like to offer our SSA readers?

Jeff: Melanoma, while scary, is manageable if you continually visit your dermatologist and stay on top of it. You can continue to live a normal life and do all the things that you want to do. Practice safer sun habits and diminish the opportunities of damaging you skin further.


Playing and watching sports is a popular past time, but often entails long hours in the sun. It is important to remember to practice sun safety for optimal skin health. Sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, are all pivotal while playing outdoor sports or spectating!

The Sun Safety Alliance has teamed up with the Association of Volleyball Professionals (AVP) to promote sun safety. Together we can raise awareness about skin cancer and ultimately save lives.
avp cares
Click here to learn more about AVP Cares, the AVP's community service program.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About SSA

We are the Sun Safety Alliance, a non-profit coalition brought to you by the Entertainment and Media Communication Institute’s Center on Skin Cancer Prevention, the research and strategy division of the Entertainment Industries Council, Inc.

We work to educate the public about the importance of sun safe behavior to prevent the incidence of skin cancer.